Sunday, February 16, 2014

You Who Came From The Stars 별에서 온 그대

Hi guys, it's been so long since I decided to write another drama review post. But this time, I really had to. You Who Came From The Stars is literally the biggest and most popular drama of the Asian world right now and it entirely deserves its title. This drama has had me hooked for so many hours! And desperately waiting for the last 3 episodes to come out in the next week or so! 

So the drama is about an alien who comes from a nearby planet (star). He lands in Korea during the Joseon Period and lives for 400 years. In his first year on Earth, he meets a young girl whom he finds an emotional connection with. (We aren't going to use the word love because she was literally a young girl.) But she soon dies for him. Therefore, when in 2014 he meets Cheon Song Yi, he realizes that she was the doppelganger of the young girl he had met 400 years earlier. Thus begins a great and magical love story.

Jun Ji Hyun as Cheon Song Yi
I haven't decided yet if I actually think she's beautiful but I have fallen in love with her character. She's such a spunky yet sophisticated girl in the drama. What I love most about her is how she isn't afraid to speak her mind whether to Do Min Joon or others around her. I love that unlike other dramas, she constantly takes initiative in her love life and doesn't wait for the guy to fall for her first. Jun Ji Hyun really puts in a lot of effort into her character and it really shows because Cheon Song Yi's entire persona is so well captured and displayed. I really love the character.

Kim Soo Hyun as Do Min Joon
Wow, it's amazing how much Kim Soo Hyun's acting has improved since Dream High. I can positively say that he has truly become one of my favorite Korean actors of all time. Viewers can really see the change in Do Min Joon throughout the drama as he evolves from someone who truly has no interest in human beings to someone who cares for, and looks out for Cheon Song Yi. His love is so great and wonderful and it really breaks my heart in the last few episodes. Kim Soo Hyun's portrayal of Do Min Joon really grabs everyone's attention and I am not ashamed to say that each time Do Min Joon sheds a tear in the drama, I shed a tear with him. His acting and smile are just so infectious!

Park Hae Jin as Lee Hui Kyung
Hui Kyung is a thoroughly good looking man. He loves Cheon Song Yi and he loves her well. Of course, he's loved her since middle school--it only makes sense. But it really breaks my heart to watch that his love never gets reciprocated in the drama. He's just such a sad character that it physically pains me to watch him love Cheon Song Yi!

Yoo In Na as Yoo Se Mi
Se Mi is a very bland character to me in the drama. Her love for Hui Kyung is just overly pathetic to me but she is also a very pitiful character who is constantly being used by everyone. I don't really have many thoughts on her or her acting though. Overall, she's just very "meh".

Shin Sung Rok as Lee Jae Kyung
Shin Sung Rok embodies what I love most about this drama other than the love between Song Yi and Do Min Joon. The fact that there's a murder mystery component in the drama just makes it that much more attractive. As a result, no matter how much I hate Jae Kyung in the drama, I love that he is a part of the drama because his evilness really foil's Do Min Joon and Lee Hui Kyung's kindness. I just hate him and love him at the same time.

Overall, this drama is much more amazing than its predecessor, The Heirs. Not because its love story is much better in any way, but because this drama has so many elements of surprise in it that other Korean dramas just don't offer. I love that it's not merely just a love story but also a time travel and murder mystery. I can't wait for the ending of this because I know it's going to be epic!

No comments:

Post a Comment